Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Peruvian Adoption

Last week in one of my classes, my teacher and I decided to take my lesson out of the class and to a restaurant. We were walking down the street when we passed by a veterinarian’s office. I asked if we could check out the puppies there, so we went into the foyer where the dogs are in the cages. And there before were two Shih-tzu puppies, each that looked identical to the one I left behind with my parents. I instantly was captivated by one of them, and throughout our time in the restaurant that was all I could talk about. I wasn’t sure however if I could have him with my host family or not, so as we passed back by the vet’s office I put down a small (refundable) down payment. I went right home and talked to my “mamita” (my host mom), and she didn’t have a problem with it, so the next thing I know, I am back on the street making my way back to the vet’s office.

When I got my last puppy, I had about 4 weeks to think of a good name for him. But this day I didn’t wake up thinking, “Hmm…. Maybe I’ll get a dog today.” It just happened. So for about a day or so, this little fella didn’t have a name. I had a little list of ideas, and I also was looking on the internet, but nothing seemed to fit this little guy. I wanted a cute name, and one that had a good significance too. Well, finally my list came down to Coby or Toby. So I went to look up what those names meant. Coby was derived from Coburn, which is a name of a town. However, Toby was derived from Tobiah, which is Hebrew and means “Yah-weh is good” (God is good). My decision was made easy between the two then.

Some day I may adopt a different Peruvian, however right now, this little Peruvian is keeping my hands full too.

So here is a picture of my little adopted baby named Toby:



5 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Krista said…

    he is sooo cute! i live with shelley adler in Poland, i was in peru on a jesus film mission project and loved it. i wanted God to send me there- but he sent me to Poland instead :) i'm ok with that. i like reading your site, shelley just gave it to me :)

     
  • At January 23, 2010 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 19, 2010 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At March 07, 2010 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At April 24, 2010 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home