Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving in Peru

Many people have asked about my first Thanksgiving in Peru. It was a lot of fun with some familiar tastes! Besides myself, there are 2 American families at the school. We all brought a different side dish for the Thanksgiving meal. We shared Thanksgiving with a German family, a few women from England, and a Peruvian woman. We had the traditional turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole (especially since sweet potatoes and every other potato is abundant here!), green bean casserole, and other side items. We shared some bible verses, poems, and what we were thankful for. It definetly was a different Thanksgiving, but so nice to be able to share it with other people who are used to this holiday and its traditions.




*side note* If you ever volunteer to make the green bean casserole for a Thankgiving in Peru, be sure to bring down some cans of green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and especially French Fried onions. This receipe which is so easy back home was quite a challenge here making everything from scratch: cleaning, cutting, boiling them until they are no longer crunchy (because who wants a crunchy green bean casserole?); making the cream of mushroom soup from the powder mix here and adding to it to make it thicker; battering and frying onions, then baking to dry them to put on top. (needless to say, this recipe is a lot more difficult and time consuming here than back in the states).

I am so thankful for my family and friends, those both here in Peru, the states, and other parts of the world. In my room I have pictures taped around my mirror and others in different parts of the room. Daily I have reminders of what good true friends I have! Some people are fortunate enough to have a few good friends, and I am blessed with so many. I am so thankful to be living in Peru! What an adventure this has been. I am so thankful to all of those who have given me the opportunity to live here by their prayers and support! God bless you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home