Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Familiar Feeling Foreign!

I visited some friends in Lima for about a week, and I was so excited to go to my favorite restaurant from back home: TGI Fridays. I went twice, once for a girls night out with Suzanne Matthews, and again to place an order to go. When I went the second time, I really wasn´t too confident in my Spanish skills, not knowing what the Spanish equivalent to ¨TO GO¨was. I entered and spoke to the hostess saying ¨Lo siento, no puedo hablar bien, pero yo necesito ordenear para salir.¨(aka... I am sorry, I cannot speak well, but I need to order in order to leave). (I learned shortly thereafter that ¨llegar¨is what I should have used for ¨TO GO¨). She directed me to the bar, where I repeated the same thing to the bartender. His response was beautiful and exactly like this: ¨You can order in English if you want.¨ So after I placed my order in English, I waited and I sipped on a Sprite that he served me, while watching ESPN 1 & 2 (and American football was on one of the channels) and behind me was a table of 5 or 6 people talking in English. For a little bit this experience that is so similar to something back home was so foreign! I am not used to going out and hearing English around me, and it felt weird at first. It was somewhat comforting too, so besides the Starbucks in Lima, I may find myself at TGI Fridays as well.

1 Comments:

  • At December 25, 2010 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Becca, it's actually "llevar which literally means "to take", out in this case.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home