Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sandsurfing In Peru



As a part of my trip to Lima and brain break from language school, I went with a few friends to Ica, Peru for sandsurfing. It was a blast! Ica is about a 3-4 hour bus ride south of Lima, and unlike Lima right now, it has clear skies and powdery sand. For about 12 dollars one company took us out on a dunebuggy (which was so awesome, like a natural rollercoaster!). After our ride, we got to sandsurf on 4 different dunes.



I wasn’t the most graceful person on the sandboard, that’s for sure! I laugh now because I had visions of me doing some jumps and sandboarding coming natural to me, but I was far from that! I couldn’t tell you how many times I tumbled down the dunes! My second attempt I thought that I might be able to sit back a bit and go down. It was fun for a few seconds before my board started aiming straight down the dune, I couldn’t steer it, and the next thing I knew I was going headfirst, and getting the breath knocked out of me with each tumble. The 3rd dune was quite steep, and I let my fear after my last experience get the best of me. I went down the hill so slowly! I’m sure Andrew and Isreal could have gone down 3 more times at the rate I was going! The 4th and last dune was a doozy! I went down on my belly, head first, which was by far the easiest and most fun way I used going down the dunes. I could control my speed with my feet, and the sand really didn’t get all in my face like I thought it would!



Although I lack much skill with this sport, I hope to return again sometime. Maybe next time I´ll have more air in my face than the sand!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home