Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Taxi Adventures

If you have ever been in a taxi in Peru, or even in another country you may have had similar experiences to the daily routine of riding in a Peruvian taxi. I believe my first taxi ride ever was in NYC, and as scary as that was to me as a 14 year old, riding in a taxi in Peru is much scarier. There are many, many, MANY taxis here, and is a cheap mode of transportation. The kind of taxis that are seen most of the time are “ticos.” These cars are about twice the size of a remote control car. There are other taxis, compact cars that hold more people or luggage.

One might ask: How many people can you fit into a taxi (other than the tico taxi)? The answer as I discovered the other night is 8+: 7 women, 1 male taxi driver, one cake, and 2 bags of groceries, not to mention at least 4 purses. Personal space? What is that in Peru? Guaranteed you will get to know your neighbor in a combi (minibus) or in a taxi more than you might want, well you’ll get to know their scent anyways (which I’ll leave several descriptions out for you).

One other interesting taxi ride happened last week when my friend and I were returning from the movies. We hailed a “safer” taxi, and as we were turning down a completely different street than normal, we made mention of the street we were supposed to be on, he mumbled something about gas, and sure enough (by the goodness of God) we pulled into the gas station just as he ran out of gas (this was in a tico taxi). The driver got out to push it, forgetting it was on a slope and he had the car in neutral, and yes, we started to roll backwards into the busy street. He jumped in and slammed on the brakes just feet from the street. Then 3 Peruvian men tried pushing it to the gas pump, and gave up after about 5 inches. (You know those rules that you read over and over at the gas pump because your bored, and one of them talks about not using any containers not made for or labeled for containing gas, yea well that rule was not observed this night!) Next we saw them pour gas into a 1.5 liter water bottle, then pour that bottle into the tank. Gratefully, minutes later we arrived home.

The taxis are another way I am learning to trust God!

1 Comments:

  • At August 27, 2005 9:00 PM, Blogger Sara McAllister said…

    Speaking of Taxis

    Becca, I definitely can concur about crazy taxis. I've never been in a taxi in the states but I rode in one several times in Turino, Italy. I had never been so nervous in a car! We were flying down one-way alleys and crossing other streets and our driver never even looked! Needless to say, my life was spared. Maybe John and I will be able to visit next year and experience a Peruvian taxi.. or combi. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home