Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Health "Charlas"


One part of my ministry is up and going. Every Saturday I am giving a health talk (or in Spanish-"charla") to different church plants. Right now it is only in two locations: Santa Anita and Huaycan, but we are hoping to get it started in another area: Amauta. I have taught a few classes on Dengue Fever, as that is something that they often get sick with in many of the poorer areas. (I had to do research for that one, as I didn't learn much about that in school!) I am starting a series on Nutrition, as well. Last weekend was my first talk in Huaycan about Nutrition, and it went really well. The women got really involved and interacted a lot.

Much of my time is spent in preparation for these charlas. At first it was a bit of a challenge to prepare for these, as many of the women I speak to don't read, and so I have to do a lot for visual learning. I also have to teach them in a way that would make it practical for their life.

Many of the women that come are either mothers of the children in the diaconal childrens program, women who attend the church there, or their friends. It is a mix of believers and unbelievers. Typically after my talk there is a devotional and fellowship time. It has been good to get to know these ladies better. We'll see what else God will do with this time with these women. Please continue to pray for these health talks, and the development of a lay-health ministry here.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home