Becca In Perú

Welcome to my blog! This page is to share with you some of my life experiences here in Peru. Feel free to browse through my articles posted. It is a lot of what I see, hear, and observe, as well as my thoughts and inspirations from it. It may not accurately represent the culture in which I am living, as it is through my eyes and not theirs, but it may give you a little taste of Peru and my life here.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Close Encounters With Peruvian Politics

Peru is in a political transitional period. Last month presidential elections were made, leaving the choice between what people here say, "worse and more worse." Alan Garcia, one of the candidates was president in 1985-1990, and in a brief summary: severely messed up Peru's economy. Garcia is the candidate in the run-off elections against Ollanta Humala, who despises democracy and would like to rewrite the constitution of Peru. He comes from a family that supports the shooting of Jews, homosexuals, and Chilean investors. He is greatly supported by Hugo Chavez of Venezuela (if that tells you anything.) The current president Alejandro Toledo will be out of office on July 28, and the new elected president will be in. The run-off election will be on June 4th.

Please pray with us about these elections. The election results could place Peru in some rough times (again).

I have never really had many close encounters with famous people or politicians in my life. However a few weeks ago I had a few experiences back to back. May 1 was a Peruvian holiday, and I was taking that time to visit friends in Arequipa. I was in the airport, and my flight was delayed. I took to reading a book, but at one point I looked over to a coffee shop in the airport near my gate, and I spotted a man who looked a lot like Ollanta Humala sitting maybe 10-15 yards from me. I wasn't sure if it was or not (as sometimes my eyes play tricks on me, and I think that I see famous people). To make a long story short, it was him. I found out when I landed in Arequipa that his wife was on my flight, and although I didn't see him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was too because of a huge political rally for him outside of the airport.

The next day, President Toledo was in Arequipa, and I watched the last part of a speech he was giving there at a university on TV. I left shortly after the speech ended to meet up with a friend for dinner. On the way there, several police, security vehicles, and a large van with tinted windows from the same university that he was giving a speech at, passed by me on the other side of the road. The taxi asked, "I wonder what could be going on." (*free translation ; ] ) I told him it was the president, and he looked at this white girl like I was crazy. But it was the president!

So I am not one typically into politics, but with the latests events and how they can seriously change the lives of everyone living here, my interest has been sparked. It isn't everyday that one has these types of encouters, and now I've had two close encounters with 2 major politicians of Peru.

If you want to do some more reading on some of the politics here in Peru, here are some articles I have found:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060514/wl_nm/peru_poll_dc_1

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world/international-peru-poll.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home